The Emergency Services Program provides financial assistance to eligible families receiving a housing subsidy from any HOC administered program, including Housing Choice Voucher, Tax Credit, and State Rental partnership.

Assistance may be for security deposits (new move-ins or involuntary moves), past due rent, past due or disconnected utilities, and moving or storage costs.


If you receive an HOC housing subsidy and you have one of the following, you may be determined eligible for Emergency Assistance:

  • Court summons and eviction letter

  • Utility disconnection notice

  • Approval letter from new landlord to include move-in date, monthly rent, and deposit amount.

It is important that you apply as soon as you receive your notice!
Please note that you can only receive assistance ONCE during any twelve month period.


When applying for Emergency Services, you are required to provide the following.

  • Proof of residence(picture identification, citizenship or permanent residency card)

  • Birth certificates for all members of household

  • Social security cards for all members of household

  • Proof of income for past 30 days (i.e., pay stubs, award letters)

  • Receipts for bills paid in the last 30 days

  • Most recent statement and current account balances in checking, savings, credit union, brokerage, etc.)

  • Proof of a workable financial plan after receiving emergency assistance (your average monthly income must be greater than your average monthly expenses)

  • Offer for hire (letter from employer stating the rate of pay, number of hours per week, start date)

Submitting the required information as outlined above, does not guarantee that you will receive emergency assistance.

Failure to submit documentation in a timely manner will delay the processing of your application.

Applying for Services

Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing clients may receive emergency assistance on a walk-in basis at most locations.